As a midwife your work includes monitoring high risk pregnancies and helping in deliveries.
Deliveries may be complicated, since mothers often arrive at the hospital late. The patients may also seek care for sexually transmitted diseases, failed abortions, or miscarriages.
You will train local staff and support their clinical work. Your work also includes administrative duties and supervising local staff.
Requirements for Midwives:
- You have graduated as a midwife
- You are licensed to work as a midwife in Finland and you have at least two years’ experience working as a midwife
- You have strong clinical skills, and you are able to work in circumstances where the equipment and diagnostic tools available in Finland are not present
- Over half a year’s experience in treating tropical diseases or a course in tropical medicine (Health in Humanitarian Assistance or similar) is an asset
- Excellent skills in spoken and written English, knowledge of French or Arabic is an asset
- You have experience in training and supervising others
Please read the general requirements for all aid workers here.
Duration of Assignment
Assignments typically last for 6 to 9 months. We hope that all our aid workers commit to going on more than one assignment.